1 cup dry barley
3 cups water
1/4 cup raisins, or other dried fruit
1 cup frozen peas, or other vegetables (fresh, frozen or canned)
2 cups lettuce, washed and chopped
1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
1/2 cup green onions, sliced thin (can use any onions)
1 tablespoon vinegar (rice vinegar or any others)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Place barley and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil, then turn to low. Cook (with lid on) for 45 minutes.
2. Rinse cooked barley brieﬂy in cold water. Drain.
3. Add remaining ingredients. Toss well.
4. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
Yield: 13 servings
Per serving: 2/3 cup
Total Carbohydrate 21g