The Central Colorado AHEC Refresher course is an online “anytime, anywhere” program where the student directs and controls their own learning environment. The program is offered through the Central Colorado Area Health Education Center (AHEC) on BlackBoard and can be accessed from any computer with internet access. The course is sponsored and managed by the Colorado Center for Nursing Excellence and the Central Colorado AHEC.
This program is approved by the Colorado State Board of Nursing
- Click the button above, fill out registration form
- Pay online via credit card or select ‘Pay by check’ or select ‘Other’ and we’ll contact you
- Once we receive your registration and payment, we will be in contact via phone and email. Instructions on how to get started will be sent to you by the course manager, including login information for the course.
You will have 12 months from when you received your logins to finish the didactic part of the course.
Online Programs Used:
- BlackBoard: The course is designed using case-based learning where actual case scenarios are used to develop critical thinking in the learner. There are four theoretical modules that can be accessed online through the BlackBoard app (you will be provided login information and instructions).
- Evolve: The Evolve Website will be used as a tool to teach various scenarios. These include critical thinking exercises in adult health (all systems), med-surg problems, procedures and treatment, mathematical practice, acid-base and electrolytes, infection control and wound care, and psychiatric fundamentals, procedures, disorders, and treatment.
- Textbook: Medical Surgical Nursing (10th edition). Lewis, S.L., Bucher, L., Heitkemper, M., & Harding, M. (2017). ISBN: 978-0-323-32852-4 (25% off when you use this link and discount code 70548)
Each module has assigned readings, case studies and self-testing. The student is expected to read the assignments, review the web links, and complete the self-tests.
Once you have completed the course requirements you will then be eligible to take the open book final exam at your local AHEC or a testing center near you. You are required to have an 80% passing grade for the final exam to continue on to the clinical portion. You may take the final exam only once. If you should not pass, you would need to retake the course at half tuition before taking the final again.
- Module One – Current Concepts in Nursing Theory
- Module Two – Therapeutic Advances
- Module Three – Systems Review and Current Trends
- Module Four – Contemporary Issues
Module Five is 80-120 (depending on how long you have been out of nursing) hours of clinical practicum. Skills training and hospital required training utilizing self-assessment and a skills check list must be completed under the direct supervision of an RN preceptor. The clinical experience is individualized for the student based on their background, education and work environment. The experience is a contract between the student, healthcare facility, and assigned preceptor. This practicum is arranged by the student. An educator agreement between CCAHEC and the healthcare facility must be created before the experience begins. Also the State Board of Nursing (SBN) must assign a temporary nursing license for the practicum before beginning. The student must apply for a permanent license to the SBN at this time as well. The DORA site will give info for this.
- 2-5 years expired/inactive – Contact Hours: 120 Theory and 80 Clinical*
- 5-10 years expired/inactive – Contact Hours: 120 Theory and 120 Clinical*
- 10 or more years expired/inactive – Contact Hours: 120 Theory and 120 Clinical*
*The State Board of Nursing may require additional hours as determined by the Board on a case-by-case basis.
How Much Does It Cost?
- Tuition Cost: $1,895.00 (not including textbook)
- Medical Surgical Nursing 10th Edition –
(ISBN: 978-0-323-32852-4) – Estimated Cost $115.00 (25% off with discount code 70548)
- Healthcare Background Check: $40 –
Paid Directly to American Databank
Please check with your local county workforce to see if you qualify for Financial Assistance
After the Exam
After passing the exam, you will need to send CCAHEC the following:
- Lapsed or expired RN license #
- Proof of professional liability insurance
- Proof of current CPR
- Proof of current immunizations
- Hepatitis B
- Chicken Pox or Titer
- Flu Vaccine
- Current TB test
- Healthcare Background Screening w/fingerprinting
You will also need to complete the following:
Brush Up On Your Skills
Do you need to brush up on your skills?
Platt College, School of Nursing offers an additional skills lab/simulation experience for refresher students enrolled in the CCAHEC online course. It will be created for the student and can be 1-3 days in length.