The Central Colorado AHEC Refresher course is an online “anytime, anywhere” program where the individual student directs and controls their own learning environment. The theory is offered through the Central Colorado Area Health Education Center (AHEC) on BlackBoard that can be accessed from any computer with internet access. The course is sponsored and managed by the Colorado Center for Nursing Excellence and the Central Colorado AHEC.
This Course is Approved by the Colorado State Board of Nursing
- Click the Registration button above, fill out registration form
- Pay online via credit card or select ‘Pay by check’ or select ‘Other’ and we’ll contact you
- Once we receive your registration and payment, we will be in contact via phone and email. Instructions on how to get started will be sent to you by the course manager, including login information for the course.
You will have 12 months from when you received your logins to finish didactic part of the course.
Online Programs Used:
- BlackBoard: The course is designed using case-based learning where actual case scenarios are used to develop critical thinking in the learner. There are four theoretical modules that can be accessed online through the BlackBoard app (you will be provided login information and instructions).
- Evolve: The Evolve Website will be used as a tool to teach various scenarios. These include critical thinking exercises in adult health (all systems), med-surg problems, procedures and treatment, mathematical practice, acid-base and electrolytes, infection control and wound care, and psychiatric fundamentals, procedures, disorders, and treatment.
- Text Book: Foundations and Adult Health Nursing 7th Edition. ISBN-13: 978-0323100014
Once you have completed the course requirements you will then be eligible to take the open book final exam. You have to get an 80% on the final exam to continue on to the clincal portion of the Course. The Final Exam is a proctored, 3 hour, “pencil and paper” exam that can be taken at your local AHEC or a testing center near you
- Module One – Current Concepts in Nursing Theory
- Module Two – Therapeutic Advances
- Module Three – Systems Review and Current Trends
- Module Four – Contemporary Issues
You may take the final exam only once. If you should not pass, you would need to retake the course at half tuition before taking the final again.
How Much Does It Cost?
- Tuition Cost: $1,495.00
- Foundations and Adult Health Nursing 7th Edition – (ISBN-13: 978-0323100014) – Estimated – $123.00
- Healthcare Background Check: $40 – Paid Directly to American Databank
Please check with your local county workforce to see if you qualify for Financial Assistance.
After The Exam
After you pass the exam, you will need the following:
- Temporary license from the Colorado State Board of Nursing
- Proof of professional liability insurance
- Proof of current CPR (Health Care Provider)
- Proof of current immunizations
- Hepatitis B
- Chicken Pox or Titer
- Flu Vaccine
- Healthcare Background Screening
- Current TB Test
Module Five is 80-120 hour (depending on how long you have been out of nursing) clinical practicum, skills training and hospital required training utilizing “self-assessment” and “competency” tools under the direct supervision of an RN preceptor. The clinical experience is individualized for the student based on their background, education and planned work environment. The experience is a contract between the student, healthcare facility and assigned preceptor.
- 2-5 years expired/inactive – Contact Hours: 120 Theory and 80 Clinical*
- 5-10 years expired/inactive – Contact Hours: 120 Theory and 120 Clinical*
- 10 or more years expired/inactive – Contact Hours: 120 Theory and 120 Clinical*
*The State Board of Nursing may require additional hours as determined by the Board on a case-by case basis.